MHG62183 - Building - Claiginn, Urchany
Ruined building/lookout post, Claiginn, Urchany
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LOOKOUT? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A township comprising nine unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix). Three unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015.
Claiginn Township. On modern OS maps, the two burns that join just to the west of the B151-5 buildings group are called Allt Liath, from the west, and Allt an Locha Bhallaich, from the north. A hydroscheme track has been driven parallel and north of the latter. West of this, high above both burns are two buildings, B156 & B157, see Fig 250.
Site B156; Rock and stone building. High on the SE-facing slope above the Allt an Locha Bhallaich is a large rock, 1.8m high, which has been used as the back wall of a 4m x 4m building. The side walls are constructed of other smaller natural rocks with additional laid stones, standing up to 0.6m high. A large rock forms the SE corner, with a natural entrance in the SW. The ground in front of it slopes down to a flat platform, probably natural, on which B157 has been constructed (see MHG62184). The open nature of this structure with extensive views to east, south and west suggests a look-out or observation post. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28596 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.67,81,82 Site B156, figures 196,197,250-253. XY
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4401 4550 (10m by 9m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109992 (Link to HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.