MHG6292 - Strathpeffer Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH45NE 61 485 583
Strathpeffer Station. Opened 1885 by the Highland Railway. A single-platform terminus.
J R Hume 1977.
Strathpeffer station opened on 3rd June 1885 as terminus (and only station) on Highland Railway branch from Dingwall (Fodderty Junction); the station on the Kyle of Lochalsh line that was originally named Strathpeffer was re-named Achterneed from same date (NH45NE 69).
The station served spa town and, after 1911, a railway hotel; it was, in consequence, always busiest in tourist season. The station (and branch) closed to regular passenger traffic on 23rd February 1946.
J Thomas 1977; G Daniels & L Dench 1980; H A Vallance 1985; J Thomas & D Turnock 1989.
Now craft workshops, by Murdoch Paterson, 1885.
J Gifford 1992.
Though the station closed to regular passenger traffic in 1946, freight was carried until 1951. The rails were taken away by 1952. The present station is comprised of buildings from three periods:
The oldest part of the station is to the west. During the 1920s-1930s, John Menzies had a bookstall at the station, built against the west wall of the station and with a sloping display area. It sold cigarettes, tobacco, chocolates, sweets, papers (some of which were regular orders for the nearby properties), magazines and books. In the 1950s and 1960s there was a coal merchants there and Bob Knox had an upholstery business.
The middle section of the station, currently (2011) housing the bookshop, was constructed in the 1970s/1980s.
The 2010 extension to the Museum of Childhood lies to the east.
Information from Duncan Finlayson; Margaret Spark; Kitty Campbell; Jennifer Maxwell, ARCH Remembering Strathpeffer Project, 2011 <1>
- --- SHG2106 Text/Publication/Volume: Daniels and Dench, G and L. 1980. Passengers no more. 3rd ed.. 86.
- --- SHG2247 Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 454.
- --- SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 287.
- --- SHG25366 Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- SHG2868 Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas and Turnock, J and D. 1989. The north of Scotland. 260; plate on p. 51.
- --- SHG2873 Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1977. Railways of the Scottish Highlands Series Vol. 5: The Skye Railway. 89-92.
- --- SHG2902 Text/Publication/Volume: Vallance, H A. 1985. The Highland railway. 4th, extd. 38, 43.
- <1> SHG25338 Collection/Project Archive: Various. Remembering Strathpeffer. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 51.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4859 5839 (55m by 27m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7834 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12460 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.