MHG6304 - BA Cist & burials, Bruachaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHORT CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH06SW 3 0400 6219.
A short cist, containing a beaker was found in July 1898 at Bruchaig, Kinlochewe.
A S Henshall and J H Longworth 1966
The two flags covering the cist were at ground level.
Info from J MacIntyre, Fairburn Estate, Muir of Ord to NMAS 27 July 1964
Mrs. MacKenzie of Gairloch has lent beaker to
National Museum - L.1963, 29. Other short cist burials seem to have been found in the district as Dixon records that "…an ancient burial-place was discovered some years ago at Bruchaig… where the bodies had been buried in a doubled-up position."
J H Dixon 1886
Mrs. MacKenzie confirmed position of the cist at Bruchaig, which is now in ruins. Nothing is now visible at the spot nor have further burials been found.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R L) 25 October 1966
Carved stone ball, 22 cm diameter, with six raised knobs. Decendents of the finder report that the ball was found in the cist burial discovered in 1898 (Forrest 2007). This means that this is one of the few carved stone balls which have a Bronze Age date. On permanent loan to Gairloch Museum.
Forrest, Liz 2007. 'The Wester Ross Carved Stone Ball'. Dissertation for Aberdeen University course. <1>
The beaker is currently in loan from the NMS to Gairloch Museum (2019) which also has the carved stone ball said to be from the cist. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henshall and Longworth, A S and I H. 1966. 'Three beakers from Wester Ross', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.245-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 245-9. 245.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 101.
- --- Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Gairloch Museum.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 4.
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Gairloch Museum. L.1963.29.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0399 6219 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12086 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.