MHG640 - Broch - Scoolary

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A low artificial mound, apparently covering the ruins of a broch, lies about 30 yds NW of the upper of the two crofts at Scoolary (ND 299 686) RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

There is no trace of any structure at this site (at ND 2982 6847) a low but prominent rise in a grass field, which has a slightly greater content of small stones than elsewhere. Scoolary is deserted, and there is no local knowledge of an antiquity here.
Visited by OS (A A) 17 March 1972.

The site was visited during a walkover survey carried out by SUAT in 2004 in advance of a proposed windfarm development. There were no visible remains. The site is the the brow of a slope in a field used for pasturing sheep and cattle with a view to the north, west and east. A possible curving bank on the west or southwest may have been the wall of the broch. <1>


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 16, No. 38 (Text/Report). SHG2664.


<1> Perry, D., 2004, Archaeological Component: Proposed Wind Farm at Schoolary, Caithness, Highland, 11.46 Site 2 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG22261.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 2982 6847 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND26NE
Civil Parish BOWER
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.