MHG6490 - Fort - Dun Eyre
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG45SW 5 4210 5352.
NG 4210 5352 Dun Eyre (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
Dun Eyre is oval on plan, the main axis running NNW-SSE, and is bounded for the greater part of its circumference by precipitous rocks, being accessible by a steep narrow ridge from the S. The internal dimensions of the fort are 100ft long and 58ft broad. The defences consist of very slight remains of a stone wall built round the edge of the plateau at the S end of which at a lower level the face of an outer wall of boulders following a curve similar to the inner, is preserved across the ridge.
From the S end of the eminence, where the ground drops suddenly to a lower level, the approach to the fort is traceable between two lines of boulder stones set on end, 4-6ft apart, for a distance of 58ft leading north-wards to an opening in the outer wall. It then enters the
enceinte by a passage way 4ft 6ins wide through the main defence. There have been a number of buildings in the interior, of which a rectangular structure, 12ft in length by 8ft in breadth, cuts at right angles into the E side near the centre. A circular foundation 12ft 6ins in diameter, and possibly a second, lies to the W inside the entrance.
Dun Eyre, a fort as described by RCAHMS and in fair condition.
Visited by OS (A S P) 30 April 1961.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on IS Master Map. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 198-9, No. 622.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2714.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4203 5349 (57m by 73m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2714.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11334 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.