MHG6803 - Site of Old Advie Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NJ13NW 1 141 352.
'Speyside Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alison Mitchell. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1975, reprinted 1992. Survey undertaken between 1970-1974.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
(NJ 1418 3530) Grave Yard (NAT)
(1st ed., 6"map shows church as a roofless oblong building, of the dimensions given by Jervise, in the NW half of the graveyard, with a small building or enclosure against outside of SW wall - ? watch-house.) OS 6"map, Morayshire, 1st ed., (1879)
Scott (H Scott 1926; 1950) states that the ruins of a church, probably dedicated to St Bride and built in 1706 (a lintel stone bears this date and the letters WG:AG), stand about 1 1/2 miles NE of Advie railway station. In 1926 he recorded that there had been a parson in 1573. Jervise (A Jervise 1879) found the building 52' long by 20' wide with walls 3' thick, the E gable being almost entire, but a correspondent to the Aberdeen Journal in 1833 recorded that the building had never been roofed. (Information from the 'Aberdeen Journal' 23 September 1833)
The ruins of a roofless watch tower stand near the SW corner of the Kirkyard dyke, according to Jervise.
A Jervise 1879; H Scott 1926; 1950; Aberdeen J Notes and Queries 1911.
The old kirk of Advie has been completely removed. The Rev. J. Grant, Cromdale, who confirmed the church's dedication to St. Bride, believes that the last traces were removed about 1900.
A lintel stone bearing the date 1706 and the initials WG:AG, is now built into the N wall of the present church of Advie (NJ 1265 3426) alongside the symbol stone (NJ13SW 2). Mr Grant believes it to have been inserted when the church was built in 1874.
No trace was seen of a watch-house in the SW corner of the kirkyard, but Jervise may have been referring to a small building built against the E wall and now used as an implement shed.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 September 1966.
There is now no trace of the church. The graveyard has been extended and is still in use.
Visited by OS (A A) 2 March 1971.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alison Mitchell. 1992. Speyside Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jervise, A. 1875-9. Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notes. 22-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6, 354; Vol. 8, 559.
- --- Text/Publication/Serial: 1911. Aberdeen Journal Notes and Queries, Vol 4. p 94.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cowan, I B. 1967. The parishes of medieval Scotland. 4.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 1417 3529 (18m by 18m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/16017 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.