MHG6806 - Site of threshing mill, Callender Farm
The site of a building identified by J R Hume as a threshing mill, now demolished.
Type and Period (2)
- WATERMILL (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1871 AD (at some time))
- THRESHING MILL? (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1871 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
NJ13NW 4 1474 3687
The RCAHMS Canmore entry describes a farmstead and mill depicted on the 6 inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1873 at grid reference NJ 1474 3687. On checking the map in question there is no mention of a mill in this location. The location of the building photographed by J R Hume (see Canmore entry for photograph) and identified as a threshing mill can, however, been positively identified as Callender Cottage using Google Streetview imagery. The mill itself has been demolished and the cottage renovated. <1>-<3>
The building identified by J R Hume as a threshing mill is depicted (unlabelled) on the 1st edition and later Ordnance Survey maps. It is not known when it was demolished. <4>
<1> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 16020 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<2> Tilbury, S, Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer, 24/05/2010 (Verbal Communication). SHG23297.
<3> Google, Google Streetview (Interactive Resource). SHG24735.
<4> Ordnance Survey, 1871, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Elgin (Image/Map). SHG23442.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 16020.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 24/05/2010.
- <3> Interactive Resource: Google. Google Streetview. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Elgin. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 14748 36872 (12m by 17m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cromdale&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.038728,30.454102&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cromdale,+Grantown-on-Spey,+Morayshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.413714,-3.420525&spn=0,0.237923&z=12&layer=c&cbll=57.413892,-3.421204&panoid=qOT5CYmuWVjQMEXLVEXfOw&cbp=12,60.41,,0,5 (Google Streetview imagery)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/16020 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.