MHG6945 - Cist with Inhumation, Carnach House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- CIST (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
NH85NE 29 8535 5554.
A short cist was found at the end of February 1931 by Mr James Ritchie, gardener, while cutting a trench through centre of a natural knoll 25 yards E of Carnach House (2 miles W of Nairn and 3.5 miles from Kingsteps Quarry - NH 90 57).
The capstone of the cist was found at a depth of 2ft 6ins. 'Over the cover-stone, and extending for a distance of 4 or 5ft on all sides of the cist' were found a number of pebbles, forming a small cairn, the depth of pebbles immediately over the cover-stone being about 2ft 4ins. The unpaved cist contained only a crouched male skeleton, which was presented to the Anatomical Museum at Aberdeen University by Hon D H Cairns of Carnach House.
A J H Edwards 1931.
The find spot, at NH 8535 5554, at centre of drive to Carnach House was idicated by the present owner. The four cist slabs, of weathered sandstone, have been re-erected at NH 8531 5545.
The skeleton is at Marischal College Museum, Aberdeen.
Surveyed at 1/2500 Visited by OS (R L) 9 December 1970.
A radiocarbon date for the human skeletal material from the cist was obtained and published in 2006 and part of the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. This indicated an Early Bronze Age date of 2120-1930 BC, calibrated to 1 sigma. <1>
The human remains are listed in the University of Aberdeen Museums and Collection catalogue, under Acc. Nos. ABDUA:14250. These can be searched on their online catalogue.<2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Edwards, A J H. 1931. 'Short cists in Angus and Nairnshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 65 1930-1, p.418-26. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 418-26. 421-15.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 28.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Bruce, M F. 1986. Short cist human skeletal material housed in the Anthropolgical Museum and the Department of Anatomy, University of Aberdeen. SHG23463. 36-8. 37.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan. A, et al. 2006. Radiocarbon Dating Results from the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2006. 198- 201. Paper (Copy). 200.
- <2> Collection/Finds Collection: University of Aberdeen. 2020. University of Aberdeen Museums and Collection Catalogue. ABDUA:14250.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8534 5554 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15115 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.