MHG6948 - Beaker - Easter Delnies
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH85NE 25 855 562.
A Beaker, now in Nairn Museum was, according to the label, 'found in a tomb at Easter Delnies (NH 855 562) on Cuthbertown, near Nairn'. This was presumably a cist burial.
Cuthbertown, which must have been a croft, lay a few hundred yards east of Easter Delnies.
The urn was presented to the museum by the widow of the third Clarke to own Achareidh House (NH 867 564) who died in 1959. His grandfather who bought the house in 1839 was apparently an antiquarian and was possibly associated with the discovery of the urn; he died in 1886. Short neck type - N2 (2).
I C Walker 1964; D L Clarke 1970.
No further information. Visited by OS (R L) 8 December 1970.
The Beaker is on display at Nairn Museum as part of a reconstruction of a cist grave. <2>
- --- SHG174 Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1964. 'An unpublished beaker from Nairnshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 95 1961-2, p.305-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 305-6. 305, 306; fig. 1.
- --- SHG2051 Text/Publication/Volume: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker pottery of Great Britain and Ireland.
- --- SHG2672 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 30.
- <1> SHG28503 Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Nairn Museum.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8549 5620 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15111 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.