MHG6992 - Brackla Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOATED SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH85SE 9 c. 858 512
For (successor) Cawdor Castle (NH 8471 4987), see NH84NW 1.
No traces survive of the former House of Calder or Old Cawdor, the seat of the Thanes of Cawdor before 1454. Remains of what appears to have been a homestead moat, with 'a dry ditch and a drawbridge', were, however, still visible in the early 18th century.
L Shaw 1882; G Bain 1893; C Rampini 1897; RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978.
Lord Cawdor, Cawdor Castle, states that the name 'Old Cawdor' appears on an 18th-century estate map, in a field to the SW of Brackla House, in the area centred NH 858 512. The area in question has been levelled for the construction of an airfield.
Visited by OS (NKB) 22 November 1965.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 173.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Rampini, C. 1897. A history of Moray and Nairn. 249.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 132.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Shaw, L. 1882. The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties. Vol. 2, 269.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8579 5120 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15205 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.