MHG7095 - Cup marked rock, Faddoch
A boulder with at least 40 cup marks on its east-sloping face.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
NG92NE 1 953 285.
There is a large cup-marked boulder at Fadoch (Faddoch - NG 95 28) in Glen Elchaig.
T Wallace 1897.
Enquiries at Killilan and Faddoch proved negative.
Visited by OS (R L) 13 October 1966.
This is almost certainly the same cup marked boulder as that recorded under MHG51635. The records were initially kept separate pending further confirmation. They have now been amalgamated following receipt of further information (see <4>). <2>
This boulder was identified by George Currie in 2007. It is described as "A boulder on a terrace above Faddoch measuring 2.3 x 2.2 x 0.9m, [having] at least 40 cup marks on its E sloping face." Mr Currie suggests that it is almost certainly the same boulder as reported by T Wallace in 1897. <3>
It is an earthfast boulder on a large terraced area near the foot of a generally W facing hill-slope, directly above the part ruined / part occupied township of Faddoch. The boulder is 'tri-circular' in shape, c2.5m diam and c1m high, and is of a mixed fine and coarse grained mica schist with fine quartz veins running through it. There are c 50 cups on its upper SSE facing surface, most being extremely eroded and requiring specialist photography to fully reveal. Another hut circle was noted c100m E up-slope but not recorded. Again this CMS is in a complex area of enclosures with occasional platforms some of which may have prehistoric origins. <4><5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1896-7. 'Notes of antiquities in Loch Alsh and Kintail', PSAS, Volume 31. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotl. 86-9. 87.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 01/04/2010.
- <3> Text/Publication/Serial: Millburn, P (ed). 2008. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland - New Series, Volume 8, 2007. Paper (Original). p 117.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Wombell, J. 08/02/2010. Email from John Wombell regarding cup marked stones at Loch Long. Yes. Digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Wombell, J. 2010. Photographs of cup marked stones. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||NG 95447 28632 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.