MHG7114 - Creag A' Chaisteil
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
NH65SE 7 6697 5064.
NH 6697 5065) Earthwork (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
This fort consists of a single wall of earth and stone surrounding a rocky plateau, measuring 54' NE-SW x 45'.
On SW side where the natural defence is weakest, wall consists of stones only, and these are of large size, forming a formidable barrier 5' high in places. The entrance appears to have been on the SE where there are traces of a very steep access path.
A J Beaton 1883; A A Woodham 1956.
A sub-circular dun, occupying the summit of a knoll, naturally defended by a crag in NE and rocky slopes in NW and-SE. It measures overall c21m NW-SE by c18m. The base course of the outer wall face, composed mainly of conglomerate blocks, is visible around most of the perimeter, and in the W the face survives to a maximum height of 1.4m and four courses. The inner face is visible only on W side for a distance of c4m. The wall appears to increase from c1.8m in NE to c2.8m in SW. The position of entrance is not clear. At obvious place in SW where the wall thickens at the easiest approach, base course of outer face is unbroken, but there is a dip in wall, and stones may represent a threshold. In SE, there is a square outer facing stone which could be corner-stone of NE side of entrance, but the lack of other evidence and the steep approach up sloping outcrop makes this uncertain. The "access path" is a natural declivity.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 March 1966 and 27 November 1970.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, A J. 1883. 'Notes on ancient fortifications in the Black Isle, Ross-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 17 1882-3, p.414-23. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 414-23. 422-3; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 77.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 83.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6697 5064 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4677 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13594 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.