MHG7146 - Dochmaluag House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWER HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH55NW 16 5199 5996.
The old house Dochmaluag at NH 5199 5996 appears to be an expample of post tower house architecture of mid 17th century. It is a roofless rectangular block of two storeys and attic, c10m high and measuring 6m N-S x 5m E-W over walls varying between 0.6m and 0.8m in thickness. The doorway to plain un-vaulted basement is at E end of N wall. The door to upper compartments is immediately above it and has apparently been reached from outside by a wooden stair, now destroyed. The walls are thickly coated with ivy. A contemporary barrel vaulted ice house in good order lies 10m to W.
According to Earl of Cromartie, (Info to OS, 28 June 1975) Dochmaluag was Mackenzie property at beginning of 16th century and MacRae states that traditionally a Mary from Dochmaluag was a guest of King James IV in 1503. Cromwell's troops were garrisoned at Dochmaluag in mid 17th century.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (AA) 30 6 1975; N Macrae 1923
The overgrown remains of this 3 storeyed tower-house stand 100m N of Dochmaluag. The much-reconstructed building, which probably originated in 17th century, measures 4.3m E-W by 3.7m transversely within a mortared-rubble wall 0.8m thick and has an entrance on NW. A barrel-vaulted undercroft 20m W of tower stands within what was probably an enclosure attached to N of tower. There is a rectangular out-building which incorporates a fireplace 50m SW of tower.
RCAHMS 1979, visited November 1978.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (J R S) March 1989.
Various, Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Pathways into the Past project: Evanton, Site 20 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25337.
MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 67 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 30, No. 256 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 67.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Various. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Pathways into the Past project: Evanton. Colour. Yes. Digital. Site 20.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 30, No. 256.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5198 5996 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12788 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.