MHG7357 - Kincardine Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH68NW 8 6072 8947 and 6073 8954.
(NH 6072 8947 and 6073 8954) Castle (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Vestiges of an ancient residence are to be seen between church and the sea at Kincardine. The field terminates in a steep bank, called the 'Bank of the Gate', and at the bottom there is a spring of excellent water, called the Lady's Well.
OSA 1792; Name Book 1875.
No trace of this castle remains. The site occupies SE end of a steep-sided promontory, cut through by railway on its S side.
Visited by OS (W D J) 21 May 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6071 8946 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13884 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.