MHG7390 - Cnoc Chaornaidh South-East
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC30NW 4 3032 0793.
(NC 30320793) Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1967)
The remains of an Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a polygonal chamber, set on a small level area on the hillside. The cairn material has been almost removed but it is possible to trace the outline measuring 15m E to W by 13m. The passage and chamber are entered from the SE and most of their upright slabs are still in situ, ranging in height to 1.5m, but the only remaining capstone is displaced.
Surveyed at 1:10 560.
A S Henshall 1963; Visited by OS (R D L) 5 April 1963.
No change. Visited by OS (R D L) 5 April 1963.
Although cairn is described by Miss Henshall as being round with a divided chamber, the flatness of entrance arc and the elongation of the NE-SW axis suggest that it has been heel-shaped; and the chamber may have been simple as opposed to divided.
J M Howell 1976 (see archive).
Howell's amendment to Miss Henshall's description confirmed.
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 June 1980.
FE Management Plan received 30/03/01.
J Aitken : 30/03/01.
Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Chaornaidh South-East. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG15501.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 345, ROS 17; plan, fig. 78 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, 152, LOU 3 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Chaornaidh South-East.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 152, LOU 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 345, ROS 17; plan, fig. 78.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 3029 0815 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4022 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4022 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4739 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.