MHG7487 - Bishops House, Nigg Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (5)
- BISHOPS PALACE (Built, 16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1727 AD? (between))
- GRANARY (Built, 16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1727 AD? (between))
- GARDEN (Built, 16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1727 AD? (between))
- MOOT HILL (Built, 16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1727 AD? (between))
- FISHPOND (Built, 16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1727 AD? (between))
- None recorded
The church lies on a natural knoll and land drops heavily away on all sides except at the W where the knoll extends out and then drops, this is tree covered, so unlikely the AP refers to this area, although this is the possibility for an early easily defended but visible site adjoining the chuch - HAW 11/2003
Guide:refers to history of site referring to the Bishops property at Nigg that included mansion house, orchard, garden, moothill, fish ponds & granary - HAW 10/2003
NH87SW 9 centred 803 717.
Mrs D Scott (Nigg House) believes that the Bishops House stood at NH 8034 7172 in an area that was, until recently, an ornamental garden. There is now no trace. It is alleged to have been a Bishop's summer palace. A track running W from here to the shore at NH 7974 7208 is known as the Bishop's Walk. It is believed that some of fabric of outbuildings S of Nigg House (dated 1702) are older than house itself. The marks on the air photographs are not visible on the ground.
Visited by OS (A A) 26 September 1972.
(Area NH 804 717) Nigg: behind parish church foundations of a building were seen c1790. A Manor Place, Mansion and moothill are mentioned, inter alia, in a charter of 1581. Possibly the foundations were of either mansion or Manor Place (OPS 1855).
Possibly foundations visible on RAF APs CPE/Scot/UK/223: 3143-4: 27 June 1947.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
Behind church are the foundations of a large house above 90' in length, called the Bishops House, of which one of the vaults was entire in 1727.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Church, house and farm, Nigg.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Nigg Old Trust. 1998. Nigg Old Church Visitors Information. 2nd.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 13, 17.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 268.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 110, 111.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 457, 458.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8034 7172 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15303 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.