MHG752 - Symbol Stone, Sandside House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
NC96NE0010 Symbol Stone
NC96NE0040 Symbol Stone?
NC96NE0079 Kiln Barn, Byres, Cottage, Dairy & Implement Shed
NC96NE0080 Walled Gardens
NC96SE0111 Gate Lodge
Another fragment recently came to light, having lain amongst rubble at site. Detail obscure, and the iconography not yet identified. See NC96NE0040 DML 2/2/00
NC96NE 10.00 951 651.
(A: NC 9522 6518 and B: NC 9519 6517 Symbol Stones (NR) (moved) OS 6"map, (1967)
A: A Class I symbol stone found about 1853 on links by shore at Sandside (NC 95 65) near an ancient settlement (presumably NC96NE 9) and removed firstly to Sandside Farm to cover a mill-lade, and then, in 1889 to Sandside House where it is placed within a wooden frame against a wall at the east side. It is a rectangular slab of local sandstone 4ft 8.5ins long, by 1ft 11.5 ins wide and 3.5ins thick, with incised symbols on one face only. The symbols are a horizontal row of three conjoined ovals, a mirror-case and, at the bottom, a mirror and comb.
B: A rectangular sandstone block 2ft 5ins long, by 9ins broad and 8ins thick which was found built into a stone dyke not far from Tigh a' Bheannaich (ND05NW 9), near Shurrery (ND 03 57). On the face of the stone is incised a small, stemmed circle or orb 4ins in diameter containing an equal-armed cross. The stem is 3.5ins long and 1 - 1.5ins broach. Beneath, and occupying the breadth of the stone, is a plain circle with a diameter of 8ins.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
Both stones are as described.
Surveyed at 1:2500 Visited by OS (N K B) 25 November 1964.
As described and illustrated. Visited by OS (J B) 8 9 1981.
Class I symbol stone showing a triple-oval with a divided mirror-case and a mirror-and-comb.
A.Mack 1997 p.129
P.S.S 1, Sandside House (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG10175.
P.S.S. 1, Sandide Ho., Reay (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG10180.
PSSI, Sandide house, Reay (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7137.
Allen and Anderson, J R and J, 1903, The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Pt. 3, 29-30; fig. 26 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1883.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 109, Nos. 406, 407; pl. xxxvii (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Thomas, C, 1963, 'The interpretation of the Pictish symbols', Archaeol J Vol. 120 1963, p.31-97, 94 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1685.
Ritchie, J N G, 1985, Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985, 11 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2712.
Mack, A, 1997, Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, 129 & 145 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2456.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): P.S.S 1, Sandside House. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): P.S.S. 1, Sandide Ho., Reay. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Thomas, C. 1963. 'The interpretation of the Pictish symbols', Archaeol J Vol. 120 1963, p.31-97. Archaeol J. 31-97. 94.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. Pt. 3, 29-30; fig. 26.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 129 & 145.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 109, Nos. 406, 407; pl. xxxvii.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 11.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): PSSI, Sandide house, Reay. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9521 6517 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:616 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM616 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))