MHG7733 - Findspot of symbol stone, Gairloch

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
  • INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Mr Bannerman (G Bannerman, District Surveyor, Gairloch, Wester Ross) reports that human bones and a Pictish symbol stone of Torridon sandstone were found about 1880 in 'The field of the cairn - Achtercairn, 'an almost flat arable field centred at NG 799 772. The symbol stone measures 36" by 20-24" by 5" and served as the step of an outhouse at Flowerdale House, until recently when it was placed in the Parish Church.
R B K Stevenson 1954.

In 1964 Rev. D Macdonald had symbol stone, which is incised with a fish and part of a goose, built into south wall of the new cemetery at NG 8075 7565.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R D) 30 March 1965.

Now in Gairloch Museum.
Info contained in letter from A Jackson 11 November 1985.

Class I symbol stone bearing an eagle over a salmon.
A.Mack 1997 p.116

Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty, Pictish symbol stone
Measurements: H 0.97m, W 0.71m, D 0.12m
Stone type: Torridonian sandstone
Place of discovery: NG c 8019 7707
Present location: Gairloch Heritage Museum.
Evidence for discovery: it is said to have been found around 1880 at Auchtercairn north of Gairloch in a field in which a number of long cists were found and in which a large cairn once stood. It served as a sill stone in the doorway of an outhouse at Flowerdale House (NG87NW 34), until sometime in the first half of the twentieth century when it was placed in the parish church. In 1964 it was built into the south wall of the new cemetery, and in 1977 it was removed and taken to Gairloch Museum.
Present condition: very worn and broken at the top (and probably the base).
Description:
One broad face of this very irregular slab is deeply incised with the lower part of an eagle above a salmon, both facing left.
Date: seventh century.
References: Stevenson 1954, 110-11; Fraser 2008, no 122.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, Compiled by A Ritchie 2017

The stone is within Gairloch Museum. <1>

Sources/Archives (9)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 8075 7565 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG87NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (1)

  • SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.