MHG7746 - MBA Spearhead, near Inverewe House
Bronze Age socketed spearhead found whilst peat cutting before 1879.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Bronze Age - 1500 BC to 1251 BC)
- None recorded
A Middle Bronze Age spearhead (Type D) was found some time before 1879, at a depth of 3' during peat-cutting near Inverewe House (NG 859 819). It is only 3 3/4" long 3/4" broad at the bladed head, which is 1 3/4" long, and tepring to a point that has been blunted. Below this it forms a hollow tapering cylinder for a wooden handle, with an eyelet each side, 1" from the base. It is preserved in Inverewe House.
W Jolly 1880; J H Dixon 1886; J M Coles 1966.
Coles's number six, Class D (defined as 'leaf-shaped blade, looped'), found near Inverewe House and still preserved there (1959-60; 1963-4).
J M Coles 1962; J M Coles 1966.
This spearhead cannot be located at Inverewe House (2011). <1>
A desk based assessment using a wide variety of sources and ground survey was undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland of their Inverewe property and estate, published 1998. A Bronze Age socketed spearhead found whilst peat cutting before 1879. Coles identified it as being from the Middle Bronze Age, Type D, being just under 10cm long. Osgood Mackenzie mentions that part of the wooden shaft of a spear was still surviving when the spearhead was discovered.
The NMRS have the find spot located at NG85898193 but this is the grid reference for the Inverewe House rather than the peat cutting where the spearhead was found. Dixon states that it was found near Inverewe House at all, just that it was found in peat cuttings - which theoretically could refer to anywhere across the estate of Inverewe, or even Tournaig or Kernary. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1880. 'Notes on bronze weapons and other remains found near Poolewe, Ross-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 14 1879-80, p.45-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 45-9. 48.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 144.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 103-4; fig., 110.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Gairloch. Yes. Site 5.
- <2> Text/Report: Harden J. Inverewe Archaeological Survey 1998. Archaeological Services. . INV001.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8590 8189 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SPEARHEAD (Middle Bronze Age - 1500 BC to 1251 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11976 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.