MHG7807 - Ullapool Town
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH19SW 7 12 94
Village laid out on a grid pattern by the British Fisheries Society in 1788, when a pier was built and the first lots developed for wraehouses, an inn and cottages. Within six years it contained over seventy houses, nearly half of them slated, but almost immediately afterwards the herring deserted Loch Broom and the village, deprived of its main industry, was brought close to collapse. A revival of prosperity came after its purcahse by Sir James Matheson in the mid 19th century. Ullapool is now a tourist centre as well as a fishing port, and also the mainland terminal for the ferry to Lewwis.
J Gifford 1992.
REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE
Mr Mylne's opinion on Mr Morison's Plan of an Inn at Ullapol has been sought by the British Society. The Secretary's letter to the Duke of Argyle mentions difficulty in obtaining the return of the Plans and Estimates of the buildings at Tobermory from Mr Mylne.
Secretary's letter to Donald MacLeod of Geanies. It accompanied Mr Morrison's and Mr Mylne's plans of an Inn and Warehouse. The letter asks Mr MacLeod to arrange a contract with Mr Morrison agreeable to his estimates and Mr Mylne's improvements on Mr Morrison's plans.
Secretary's letter to Donald MacLeod of Geanies. He has visited Ullapool and his report is critical of all Robert Melvill's building. He has observed alterations to plans and poor workmanship sufficient to deter "County People" from taking lots.
Letter that accompanied a plan of Elevation of the buildings required at Ullapool. It is sent by Roderick Morison to John Mackenzie.
Answers to Donald MacLeod's criticism of Robert Melvill's buildings and lay out of streets at Ullapool.
The Directors of the British Society ask for amendments to Mr Telford's plan. They wish the opening round the market place to be square and two more streets to be constructed. Lanes are to be allowed for, streets narrowed and drains left open.
Alterations to the Inn proposed by the Agent; approved by Thomas Telford; accepted by British Society. The Stable and Hayloft are to be converted into sitting and sleeping room for the use of the inferior class of persons, and a new stable built on the South side.
Mr Telford's plan for the Smith's Shop and Bakehouse is approved. Additions to the clergyman's house may be carried out. The Directors of the British Society ask for Mr Telford's proposals for a Brewhouse.
Report on the works at Ullapool for the British Society. Drawn up by Thomas Telford it covers dwelling houses, curing sheds, storehouses, pier, inn, storehouse, mill and streets.
A plan has been left in the hands of the Agent for a House with an Upper Storey for the clergyman and an alternative suggestion for adaption of schoolmaster's house.
Sheriff Depute of Ross and Cromarty, Donald MacLeod's report on the village of Ullapool. He accuses Robert Melvill of a number of deviations from Mr Aitken's original plan and sketches on p 168 and p 621 support his complaints.
Mr Telford asked to obtain estimates for the repair of the pier, the Church and the Manse and to report on the state of the settlement to the Directors of the British Society.
BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Scottish Field, March 1967 p.32
Butt, J, 1967, The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 305 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2008.
Minchinton, W, 1984, A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain, 169-70 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2521.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 29-30, No. 6 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
Gifford, J, 1992, Highland and Islands, 464 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG2247.
Taylor, A, 2007-9, Photographs of various HER sites by Andrew Taylor (CD 1) (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24382.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 305.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 29-30, No. 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 464.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 2007-9. Photographs of various HER sites by Andrew Taylor (CD 1). Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 169-70.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1266 9440 (160m by 160m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12147 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.