MHG7854 - Standing Stone & Celtic Monastic Site, Badavanich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MONASTIC SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Corres from I Mackenzie "late Rev Norman Morrison left a note in some papers, quoting Prof Donald Maclean of the Free Church College he claimed that there were three Suidhe Mharee, or Maelhruba's seats. One on the Bealach, one above Lochcarron & 1 nr Achnasheen. He goes on "the 1 nr Achnasheen is above the road on the RH side coming from Achnasheen only a few yards from the road at Banivanich nr the end of Lochrosque - not quite in front of the house there, but slightly towards the S. It can be readily recognised as a finished dressed obelisk showing about 18" above the peat land into which it has sunk during the centuries..- HAW 8/2003
This stone, as it lies within fenceline bordering road, is in danger from present scheme to improve road.
Info from Roy Wentworth, 14/5/2002
The area surrounding the stone was recommended for evaluation by CFA in their assessment of this stretch of road. A different NGR for the stone - NH 1043 5862 - is given in their report (see Report 600, pg. 13, 30-31)
NH15NW 1 1021 5862.
There is a square upright stone called Clach an 't Shagart, or "the stone of the priest", near a cottage which is just past a burn at the western end of Loch Rosque on way from Achnasheen to Kenlochewe. The place is called Bad a Mhannaich (Badavanich - NH 1058) or "the monk's grove", and it is said to be an early Christian monastic settlement. They say that baptisms were conducted at Clach an t' Shagart. The name of Loch Rosque itself is believed by many to signify "the loch of the cross".
J H Dixon 1886
The stone is also called "Suidh Ma-Ruibh" - Malruba's Seat
W J Watson 1904
At NH 1021 5862 there is a square, dressed stone c. 0.7m high, c.0.3m square. This would appear to be stone referred to by both Dixon and Watson.
Unable to find any local information regarding name of stone.
Visited by OS (R L) 25 October 1966
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1020 5862 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12100 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.