MHG7925 - Fishing Station - Laide
Fishing Station at Laide
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Thumbnail Photo of building at fishing station
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 03/04
A large building set into a natural gully so that the chute for loading it with ice is at approximately ground level. A small door through the remains of a wooden extension on the north side gives access. The interior is still partially lined with substantial larch planks, formerly using bracken for further insulation. On the bank north of the ice house is a concrete platform formerly the stance for the winch used for loading and unloading from the puffer.
One stone built house, in good condition and now a private residence. One wooden building still standing immediately north of the house was the rope store, east of this is the concrete base of the net store. Attached to the south gable of the house was a further wooden building, a combined stable and bothy, now also demolished. North of this complex are the net drying poles and the wooden cart used for transporting the salmon. By the north gable of the house are two cast iron cauldrons used for tar.
The present owner is sympathetic to the history of the place, and is unlikely to unnecessarily remove these surviving features.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/3/04
A survey of the Laide settlement area was undertaken by Macinnes, A. and Macintyre, J. in 2011
Laide fishing station now disused and converted to house. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2014 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28284 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2019. Inverlaidnan and Sluggan/Inchluin, near Carrbridge, Inverness-shire: The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains in 2018. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.3.
- <2> SHG27384 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9017 9267 (57m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12070 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.