MHG7958 - Uamh Mhor, N of Cove
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAVE (Undated)
- PREACHING SITE (Undated)
- None recorded
(Name NG 816 918) Uamh nan Deargann (NAT)
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Uamh nan Deargann, meaning 'Cave of the Fleas', is name applied to a large cave N of village of Cove, about 40 feet long by about 15 high, containing a number of wooden seats, and used by villagers as a church'.
Name Book 1875.
"Preaching Cave" in cliffs on shore near Cove, on W side of Loch Ewe, is high, wide and roomy and is entered by descending one or two steps. The entrance is roughly built up with stones 'in the usual way' and cave still contains a wooden pulpit, and benches with bookboards attached. There was possibly a wooden floor.
T R Barnett 1930.
At NG 8123 9127, 10 ft above HWM of Spring Tide, in cliffs at the head of a small inlet, the "Preaching Cave", with measurements as described by Name Book (1875), was pointed out by Mr Urquhart (No. 2 Croft, Cove), who stated it has not been used for "about 40 years". Pieces of wood, strewn about stone floor of cave, are all that remain of pulpit and benches. A fall of earth has partially blocked entrance, but dry-stone wall 1.6m high and 0.9m thick is still visible.
"Uamh nan Deargann" at NG 8149 9185, has never been a 'preaching cave'. It is submerged at high spring tides and bears no relationship to description by Name Book 1875.
Visited by OS (N K B) 18 March 1965; Name Book 1875.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8123 9127 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11997 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.