MHG8023 - Chambered Cairn, Stittenham
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Scheduled area lies at GR above -ie in woodland around house - HAW 11/20045NH67SW 1 6491 7440.
NH 649 743. There is an Orkney-Cromarty type chambered cairn, first noted by Maclean as stone circle, in a pine wood on hilside near Stittenham House. The cairn material has been largely removed and site is covered with pine needles, grass and moss. The vague edge of a round cairn can be traced on W side, suggesting an original diameter of about 40'.
The main orthostats of polygonal chamber and passage remain, all split slabs. At SE side a pair of low stones set 2'9" apart form portal at entrance to passage. They stand 1'3" high. The passage walls are not visible, but a pair of stones set askew to axis of passage, their tops level with the cairn, suggest that there was a small ante-chamber and that passage was only 5' long.
The chamber was entered between 2 transversely set stones. That on SW side remains, a somewhat higher stone than those described, projecting 1'9". The top of a displaced slab sloping into chamber may be part of NE transverse slab. 5 more orthostats define a roughly circular chamber 8' diameter. They stand about 2'6" high, taller than stones of passage and ante-chamber. The interior of chamber is hollow as if it had been dug out at some time.
R Maclean 1886; A S Henshall 1972.
NH 6491 7440. A mutilated Orkney/Cromarty chambered cairn, as described and planned by Miss Henshall.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (WDJ) 9 5 1963 and (AA) 12 May 1975.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, R. 1886. 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 324-39. 339.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 24.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 570, ROS 49.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6490 7430 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4700 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13772 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.