MHG8075 - Leachonich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH68NE 9 6846 8583.
Cairn (NR) (Remains of) Human Remains found AD. 1839 (NAT) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A round cairn with a polygonal chamber, 300ft SE of the cairn NH68NE 8. Composed of bare stones the cairn is curiously sited on the edge of a small knoll, the difference between the north and south edges being about 10ft. The diameter is 70ft east to west along the contour and 80ft north to south where the cairn material has probably slipped. There are the remains of a peristalith of considerable square slabs. A fair amount of the cairn remains on the south but little on the north and east. Orkney-Cromarty type.
V G Childe 1944; A S Henshall 1963, visited 15 July 1956.
The remains of the chambered cairn are as described by Henshall (1963). It measueres c.21m in diameter. The largest of the kerb stones stands to height of c.0.8m and the slabs forming the south side of the chamber are exposed for a height of 0.9m.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 16 May 1963.
Childe, V G, 1944, 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38, 30; plan (Text/Publication/Article). SHG175.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 351, ROS 30; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 8, No. 16 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 30; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 16.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 351, ROS 30; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6846 8583 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2390 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2390 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13861 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.