MHG8099 - Woodhead Chambered Round Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH66SE 1 6507 6100.
Chambered cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
This cairn has probably been round, and although much ruined and robbed, a fair quantity of cairn material remains in places. The chamber is rectangular and of Orkney-Cromarty type. The diameter of the cairn has probably been c80'. A fairly definite edge can be traced on S. The cairn was probably excavated by Sir Alexander McKenzie of Avoch about 1816.
A S Henshall 1963.
A much robbed chambered cairn, generally as described by Henshall, but now apparently oval, measuring approx. 36m NW - SW by 22m NW - SE and 1.8m maximum height is mutilated along its SE side by the incursion of a track.
Re-surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 January 1966.
About 9ft in front of portal stones forming entry to chamber there lies a large almost flat slab measuring 5ft 10ins by 3ft 8ins its long axis at right angles to that of the chamber. The stone looks like a lintel belonging to a passage. Below its NW end there can just be seen the top of an upright slab which appears to be set parallel to and exactly in front of, the NW portal stone. This stone might well be one of a pair of portal stones at the entrance to a passage. The passage, if it exists, is low and is covered by cairn material.
A S Henshall 1972, visited 1967.
The chambered cairn is as described by the previous authorities; no further physical details were noted.
Surveyed at 1;10 000. Visited by OS (J B) 11 January 1978.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 20.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 357, ROS 42; fig. 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 564, ROS 42.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 72, No. 6.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6507 6100 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4566 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13686 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.