MHG8104 - Cists w beaker & finds, Fyrish Farm House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
NH66NW 5 6182 6899 and 6185 6899
These two cists were found before 1865; one contained an inhumation, an N4 Beaker and a bracer (RMS(NMAS) EQ 131 and 133 respectively); the other was empty.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1868; Name Book 1875; D L Clarke 1970.
No trace of the cists was found, but at the site of the eastern one lies a large flat irregularly shaped stone slab, 1.7m by 1.4m maximum width and 0.3m thick.
Visited by OS (RDL) 5 May 1963.
A radiocarbon date was obtained and published for the human remains in 2004 as part of the National Museuems of Scotland Radiocarbon Dating Programme. This provided an Early Bronze Age date of 2295-2200 BC calibrated to 1 sigma. <1>
See link below to NMS catalogue and SCRAN for photo of the stone bracer.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. Vol. 2, 520.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 103.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 71.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, M E C. 1934. 'A new analysis of the Early Bronze Age beaker pottery of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 68 (1933-34), pp 132-89. p 187.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1868. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library plus exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 6 1864-6, p.7-14,41-8,86-91,109-14,178-83,203-10,233-39. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 7-14,41-8,86-91,109-14,17. 233.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan. A. 2004. The National Museums Scotland Radiocarbon Dating Programmes: Results Obtained during 2004/5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2004. 174-176. Paper (Copy). 174.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6182 6898 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC)
- ARM GUARD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-036-641-C& (Link to online NMS Online catalogue)
- https://canmore.org.uk/c14index/13681 (Link to online Scottish Radiocarbon Database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13681 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-036-641-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.