MHG8105 - Cullicudden Church


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH66NW0096 Graveyard
J Aitken : 12/12/02
NH66NW 4 6496 6506.
Cullicudden Church (NR) (Ruin) OS 6" map, (1959)

The church was the successor to St Martin's (NH 66SW 7) as the parish church of Cullicudden and was built 1609. A stone over the doorway bears date. This church continued in use after the union of Cullicudden and Kirkmichael church (NH76NW 1) became the parish church. When a new church was built at Resolis 1767, Cullicudden Church was allowed to fall into decay.
NSA 1845; Name Book 1875; H Scott et al 1915-61.

Cullicudden Church, name being verified locally as such, is as described above. The date '1609' on stone lintel of doorway is still legible. SE wall of the church survives to a height of 3.5m and is 5m in length, and 0.8m thick, with the doorway centrally placed in it. SW and NE portions of wall are 0.7m wide but it is now impossible to say whether they are original side walls of the church or not. Each survives to a maximum height of 1.3m and is 6m in length. NE wall has been re faced, and 3 modern gravestones have been built into the outer face. SW wall, which now appears to be original, has 2 gravestones set into its inside face, and is of the same construction as SE wall. The graveyard, which is still in use, has many old grave-slabs in it.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 1 January 1966.

The church, dyke, and gate piers were listed in 1971.

It would seem more logical for this church to have been oriented NE-SW, rather than NW-SE as implied by Bruce. The masonry of SW wall is of a poorer quality than that of undoubtedly original SE wall, suggesting it is later. A rectangle of tightly packed, mainly early 18th century, graveslabs immediately beyond it suggests that the church extended at least another 12m to SW, the graveslabs being placed either within church or on site of its SW half. 3 mid 17th century graveslabs occur in a burial enclosure to S of church. The oldest stone seen is dated 1600, and this, together with top section of a pointed trefoil window of red sandstone laid on the ground to W of the church, suggests an earlier date than 1609, unless they were brought from elsewhere.
Visited by OS (A A) 18 June 1975.

The church and burial ground were Scheduled by Historic Scotland in 2013. <1>

The church, dyke and gate piers were delisted by Historic Scotland in 2014. <2>

Sources/Archives (7)



Grid reference Centred NH 6495 6506 (108m by 94m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH66NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish RESOLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.