MHG8163 - Carn Na Croiche
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH67SE 11 6562 7221.
Carn na Croiche (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A round cairn Orkney-Cromarty type with a polygonal chamber. The cairn material has been almost entirely removed but a slight bank, most clearly traceable on N quadrant indicates its edge. In centre there remain a number of upright stones which have formed part of a chamber and passage or a large chamber. There is evidently a considerable accumulation of debris over the site, and two of the chamber stones can be seen to descend for a least 2ft below the present ground level.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 12 July 1958. <1>
The remains of this cairn are genrally as described by Henshall. It would appear to have been circular with a diameter of c.20m. In the centre are seven upright stones and one recumbent stone outlining the chamber and passage. The cairn much mutilated and planted over, has now no signigicant height and its perimeter can only be traced by a slight bank on the north and west sides.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 10 May 1963.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, 1st April 2003 to 31st March 2008. HS, 11/03/03. See assoc. docs. File. <2>
Photographs of this site were submitted to the HER in November 2009 by Graham Grant, who comments that the monument is well robbed out and covered by deep grass and heather growth. <3><4>
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 7, No. 7 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<1> Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 345, ROS 18 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<2> Aitken, J, Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant, 25/03/2003 (Verbal Communication). SHG23722.
<3> Grant, G, 2009-11, Information and photographs of various HER sites submitted by Graham Grant (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24575.
<4> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, Graham Grant, 19/11/2009 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 7.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 345, ROS 18.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant. 25/03/2003.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Grant, G. 2009-11. Information and photographs of various HER sites submitted by Graham Grant. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Graham Grant, 19/11/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6562 7221 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4750 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4750 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13737 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.