MHG8191 - St Martins Church & Well
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- HOLY WELL (Undated)
- None recorded
NH66SW 7 6456 6266 and 6456 6262.
(NH 6456 6266) St. Martin's Church (NR) (Site of) (NH 6454 6262) St. Martin's Well (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
St. Martin's Church, dedicated to St. Martin of Tours, stood within its burial ground at Kilmartin (possibly unnamed ruins to E). It was parish church of what came to be known as Cullicudden, although the Gaelic name for the parish remained 'Sgire a' Mhartinn' - 'Martin's parish'.
The church is mentioned 1275, and probably continued in use until a new church was built at Cullicudden in 1609. (NH66NW 4). The burial ground has been ploughed up, and only foundations of church remained in 1875.
According to the ONB (1875) the well is covered over with a stone roof. NSA 1845; Name Book 1875; W J Watson 1904.
The remains of St. Martin's Church fall in a cultivated field and consist of a low mound containing foundations of a building, orientated E-W, measuring 14m E to W by 7m N-S, with a small annexe, 4.6m square, attached to NE corner. The best preserved section of walling occurs along E side where 2 courses of rough masonry, 0.4m high, can be seen. The well, a natural spring, measures 0.6m square, by 0.9m deep, and cover stone, mentioned by ONB, lies immediately to W. There is no trace of a burial ground in vicinity of church. According to Mr Elliot (St Martins, Resolis, Black Isle), foundations will soon be completely removed for agricultural purposes.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R B) 24 January 1966.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Ross and Cromarty, 38.
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 112.
- --- SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 7, 18.
- --- SHG2917 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 120.
- --- SHG3358 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 27, 39, 53, 54.
- --- SHG342 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 553.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6456 6266 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13707 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.