MHG8223 - Cave and Holy Well - Craigiehowe
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAVE (Undated)
- HOLY WELL (Undated)
- None recorded
NH65SE 13 6851 5216.
(NH 6851 5216) Cave (NAT) W. (NAT). OS 6" map, (1959)
Craigiehowe Cave is traditionally inhabited by the Fingalians.
At the mouth is a dripping well which is resorted to as a cure for deafness.
W J Watson 1904.
Cave with Fingalian association; healing well? - cave located.
CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.
The cave mouth is approx 6 metres wide, by 4 metres high. The cave tapers inwards to a tunnel, approx 30 metres deep, to a final end. The floor of the cave is littered with apparently fresh bird and animal bones. The walls of the cave are natural conglomerate, with no evidence of human adjustment or involvement. There is evidence of previous contemporary fires at the cave mouth. Of no apparent archaeological interest. In particular, despite looking, no evidence of Fingalians or any other "little people".
Visited by Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk (SCHARP) 2013
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6850 5216 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13576 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.