MHG8264 - Copper Mine, W of Rassal Wood

Summary

Copper mine, opened about 1775.

Type and Period (1)

  • COPPER MINE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Copper Mine. Opened c1775 but abandoned due to transport difficulties. Name Book (Ross and Cromarty). <1>

The site consists of remains of an early copper mine situated on sloping ground west of Rassal Wood.
This mine was opened around 1775, but abandoned due to transport difficulties. The mining complex consists of several elements. The most prominent is a trench 50m to 60m long with spoil heaps to either side. The trench was excavated to follow a vein of copper and is a maximum of 4m wide and 5m to 6m deep. Downhill from trench, but exploiting same vein of copper, is entrance to a small mine adit. To S of trench and mine are remains of a stone built enclosure and 2 rectangular buildings - it appears likely that these are associated with the process of copper extraction. Traces of a track lead from the top of the trench to the E building.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated April 1993.

The copper are found at Currie in the Lothians, and at Kissern [Kishorn] in the Highlands of Ross-shire, is remarkably good in quality, and trials have been made, and copper raised in both places, but not in sufficient quantity; and yet the
copper at Kissern [Kishorn] is of the best quality, perhaps, of any are of that metal found in Britain. Contains description of the ore and its extraction. <2>

Information from Paul Swan. The ore (Bornite) was in a vertical rake vein running at or near the surface and extends for some 50 metres like a cut in the hillside above Rassal wood. It may have been worked on a small scale in historic times, but was certainly being mined before 1762 and when Williams visited around 1810, he stated “The copper at Kissern [Kishorn] is of the best quality, perhaps, of any ore of that metal found in Britain” (see <2>). It is likely that the vein was exhausted and operations ceased by the mid 19th century, but was definitely reported as abandoned by G.V.Wilson in 1921. Small amounts of Malachite and Brochantite can also be found. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 8486 4324 (172m by 167m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG84SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHBROOM

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.