MHG8498 - Fort, Castlehaven
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PROMONTORY FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
NH98NW 5 9296 8729.
Castlehaven (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, (1959)
"There is a tradition of a fort, built here on a small mote . . . No vestiges remain of the building, both the mote and a narrow neck or causeway which led to it from land being now covered with grass; but it is easy to trace the foundation of a wall of considerable extent, which defended it on the land side. The creek retains name of Port-Chasteil or Castlehaven."
The site of an ancient castle or fort defended onland side by a deep ditch, and by some supposed to be ancient 'Ethirdover'.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
The site of an ancient castle of which no vestige remains other than parts of two ditches which appear to have formed defence on the landward side.
Name Book 1872.
Only two dressed sandstone blocks, presumably part of a wall-face, remain, protruding through SSE arc of an amorphous turf-covered mound of debris. Both ditches can still be traced, inner being partly filled with field cleared stones, and the outer ploughed down. Both ditches average 4m in width and 0.3m deep.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (A A) 14 September 1972
This has been a desk assessment area.
J Wordsworth, SSSIs, Scottish Natural Heritage, 1993
Castlehaven is generally as described but the outer ditch is now very vague and masked by whins.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 21 September 1977.
'This promontory fort has been defended by a single rampart on E and N; on S, where approach is easiest, extra protection has been provided by addition of three ditches, In interior there is a D-shaped enclosure.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1977.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 6, 426-7.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 22, No. 180.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 30, 5.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 453.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2919.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9296 8729 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4806 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2919.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4806 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15627 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.