MHG8610 - Tarbat House (c. AD 1690)
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLAX MILL (Undated)
- None recorded
NH77SE 9 centred 772 737.
Tarbat House stood on the site of the present ruin. Much flax yarn was spun in the east and there was for a short time a linen factory here, with hand spinning and hand looms. Most yarn was shipped to Edinburgh but a limited quantity was woven into linen cloth locally, a process which involved bleaching the finished cloth. Small bleachfields were established on the Cromarty links by the local merchant, William Forsyth, and by Munro of Culcairn, somewhere on his estate.
Ross & Cromarty - A Historical Guide by D Alston, 1999
J Aitken: 14/09/04
Built in 1650s as a successor to Ballone Castle (NH98SW 1) and replaced by the present Tarbat House (at NH 770 736) in 1787.
W Fraser 1876; G Stell 1986.
Replaced by present Tarbat House at NH 77SE 15 in 1787.
Tarbat House. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11727.
Fraser, W, 1876, The Earls of Cromartie: their kindred, country and correspondence, Vol. 2, 431-5 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2228.
Forman, S, 1958, 'Tarbat House', Scot Fld Vol. 105 Aug 1958, p.21-3, 21-3 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1604.
Stell, G, 1986, Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707, 112, 115, 130 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3139.
Clough, M, 1990, Two houses: New Tarbat, Easter Ross; Royston House, Edinburgh (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2054.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Tarbat House.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Forman, S. 1958. 'Tarbat House', Scot Fld Vol. 105 Aug 1958, p.21-3. Scot Fld. 21-3. 21-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Clough, M. 1990. Two houses: New Tarbat, Easter Ross; Royston House, Edinburgh.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Fraser, W. 1876. The Earls of Cromartie: their kindred, country and correspondence. Vol. 2, 431-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 112, 115, 130.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7719 7370 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||KILMUIR EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14596 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.