MHG8684 - St. Duthus's Church, Castle Brae, Tain
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Small structure unroofed within later cemetery. Propped up with timber over doors and fenced and marked as dangerous - HAW 8/2004
NH78SE 34 7804 8217
Collegiate Church of St Duthac (Duthus), see NH78SE0004
The (roofless) restored remains of what was probably the original parish church, dedicated to St Duthus (Duthac) stand to the SE of the Collegiate Church (NH78SE 3). It was built at turn of 14th and 15th centuries.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; RCAHMS 1979; J Close-Brooks 1986.G Stell 1986.
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T, 1896-7, The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century, Vol. 2, 539-42 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2443.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 28, No. 239 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
Stell, G, 1986, Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707, 106 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3139.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 114 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 114.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. 1896-7. The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century. Vol. 2, 539-42.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 239.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 106.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7804 8216 (12m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (5)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:41843 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2803 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB41843 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14707 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.