MHG8720 - Church, Marybank
Late 18th church; survives as a ruin.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (18th Century to 19th Century - 1767 AD to 1820 AD)
- None recorded
NH77NE 5 7570 7598
Dated 1767. Disused since about 1820. (This church succeeded that described on NH77NW 9, and was replaced by NH77NE 6.)
Name Book 1874. <1>
The roofless shell of this church stands in dense vegetation. A plain rectangular building of mortared rubble, it measures 20m E to W by 8m transversely. A tall flat-lintelled window survives in W gable, and the last vestiges of a splayed window in E gable.
OSA 1792; RCAHMS 1979, visited October 1977. <2> <3>
Marked as Church (in ruins) on 1st edition Ordnance Survey. <4>
The second in a series of four successive parish churches for Logie Easter. Visited and photogtraphed during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. No sign of an associated graveyard. <5> <6>
By White Lodge are the remains of another church built around 1767 and in use for approximately fifty years. This is reputed to have become the parish church when the heather roof of the original Marybank church went into disrepair (pers comm. local resident). Remnants of the Laird’s loft can still be seen and in winter the path linking it to Balnagown Castle is plain to see. <7>
- <1> SHG3356 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 30.
- <2> SHG2606 Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 4, 475.
- <3> SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 25, No. 207.
- <4> SHG23422 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <5> SHG25133 Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <6> SHG25134 Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <7> SHG25681 Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Pathways into the Past: Milton. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 13.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7570 7598 (19m by 8m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14547 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.