MHG8890 - Cille Mhuire


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

See also:
NH57NW0031 Graveyard
J Aitken : 12/12/02
NH57NW 2 5222 7721.
Cille Mhuire (In Ruins) OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed (1907)

Church is 40' long by 18' broad, within walls 4' thick. Date of construction is not known. NSA 1845 (Rev. Alex. Flyter).

The remains of church, built of mortared masonry, measure 14.3 m. E-W by 7m. N-S, over walls 0.9 m. thick.
W gable remains entire and other 3 sides vary in height from 1.8 m. to 3m. The doorway is in S side, at W end and there is also a narrow slit window in this wall. Inside are two flat grave slabs and a small stone font.
Burial ground is enclosed by a low drystone dyke. It is covered thickly with trees and bushes and only two modern grave-stones were seen.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 May 1963.

"The spelling 'Mhuire' is accepted locally," and conforms to the spelling of the name of the glen 'Gleann Mhuire' which has been verified by School of Scottish Studies.
OS revision 16 August 1966.

Cille Mhuire {NR} (remains of) OS 6"map, (1970)
No change. Visited by OS (JB) 18 November 1976.

This church at N end of Loch Morie is a single-celled structure measuring 14.25m by 6.95m overall. It stands to gable height at W end and there are a slit window and door in S wall. The window is splayed internally and has no dressings, but door is dressed with chamfered rybats, top course of which is different to basal courses. Two partially legible table tombstones are situated inside church, immediately E of entrance.
Built into outer face of S wall, to W of door, 1.7m above ground, there is a four petalled flower sculpted in low relief on a piece of red sandstone. The surface is partly broken and it is also partly covered in harling. A low bank 4.75m thick, inside a stone facing, encloses graveyard and church.
In 1549 Queen Mary gave Sir James Buschart Chapel of Towy (or Tolly) in diocese of Ross, which had been made vacant by death of incumbent (OPS 1855, 473). The chaplaincy of Tolly or Kildermorie cannot be traced any earlier.
1st ed. OS 6" map (Ross-shire (1880),52) depicts some enclosures and unroofed buildings on NW side of graveyard bank. A heap of rubble is visible in this location but no structures were discernible.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 15 November 1989

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 5223 7720 (85m by 71m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH57NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ALNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.