MHG8933 - Cnoc Ravoch
A cup marked stone, with 64 cups of varying sizes.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH56SE 7 554 614.
Several separate specimens of cup-marks may be seen above Uplands (NH 555608) on the way to Fluchlady (NH 553620)
N Macrae 1923. <1>
Not located. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 June 1965.
Located and recorded by John Wombell in 2010. At NH 55412 61886 is a prostrate sandstone slab c2m E/W x 1.5m, with 64 cups of varying sizes on it, all very eroded, two of which are extended into 'sausages'. The decoration appears placed to fit within several natural fissures on the slab, and of particular interest is a penannular ring groove connecting 6 cups in a horseshoe shape around a central cup, with an 8th cup in the opening of the ring. This is an unusual motif nationally, which is repeated on the Fairy Stone at the Bottacks above Strathpeffer and on a number of other decorated stones in the area. A drawing of the surface of the slab was submitted to the HER in November 2010. <2><3>
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 18, No. 128 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<1> MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 339 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
<2> Wombell, J, 03/2010, Email from John Wombell regarding Fleuchlady cup marked rock (Text/Correspondence). SHG25052.
<3> Wombell, J, 2009-10, Illustrations of cup marked stones, CMS253 (Image/Illustration). SHG25051.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 128.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 339.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Wombell, J. 03/2010. Email from John Wombell regarding Fleuchlady cup marked rock. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Illustration: Wombell, J. 2009-10. Illustrations of cup marked stones. Yes. CMS253.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 55411 61885 (10m by 10m) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12916 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.