MHG8949 - Granary - Foulis Point

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • STOREHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD) + Sci.Date

Protected Status

Full Description

NH56SE 19 5996 6359
A disused 18th century granary or Rent House. Three stories harled, with an external open stair giving access to the upper floors.
Built c1740 as an estate storehouse, or girnel, for Munros of Foulis. Around this time, rents were mostly paid in kind, as were a proportion of estate workers wages. Oats and barley would have been stored here, and thence shipped out to Fort George where they would be sold to army, or to Inverness.
The Rent House was the scene of riot 1796, when townspeople of Dingwall marched on it at a time of food shortage in order to prevent export of grain they believed to be held there. The crowd eventually dispersed without serious incident. The Rent House remained in use as a storehouse for goods moving in or out of the estate by sea well into 20th century.
J Close-Brooks 1986

Though it stands just outwith the Cromarty Firth SSSI, Foulis Point Rent House is of importance to history of this part of Cromarty Firth: also it is likely that some associated structures (such as boat moorings) may well lie along the shore, and within the SSSI.
J Wordsworth, SSSIs, Scottish Natural Heritage, 1993

The storehouse of Foulis was one of twenty sites to have been part of the SCOT2K Native Pine Dendrochronology Project. One of the aims of this project included dating and provenancing of native Scottish pine timbers in buildings and archaeological sites and dates were found to range from the fifteenth to the nineteenth centuries, from high-status castles to modest cruck cottages. They were mostly located in the Highlands where Scots pine occurs naturally and so these areas were more likely to have had native pine used in buildings, although an early example of long-distance transport is also identified. More widely in Scotland, many historic buildings are dominated by imported timber from the 15th century onwards, and native timbers may be under recognised, something the project is helping to address. Native pine from the storehouse was dendrochronologically dated to the 18th century, with a felling date of 1747 AD. <1> Summary <2>

Sources/Archives (8)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5996 6360 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH56SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KILTEARN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.