MHG9023 - Find spot of symbol stone, Torgorm Farm
Fragment of a Class I symbol stone, found in a ploughed field prior to 1903. Now in Inverness Museum.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH55SE 14 559 549.
A fragment of a Class I 'Pictish' symbol stone, bearing parts of two double-disc and Z-rod symbols, found on Torgorm farm, and noted at Moniack Castle (NH 5543) in 1903, is now in Inverness Museum (Acc No: 1937-41).
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; RCAMHS 1979; 1985. <1>-<3>
Class I symbol stone bearing two double discs and Z-rods
A.Mack 1997 p.110 <4>
Included in a catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, original version 1994, updated 2010. The right hand portions of two double disc symbols, the lower with a cross motif at the hub, the upper with a joined circle and lobe of different design. Above the lower double disc is the top arm of a Z-rod, with characteristic spearhead terminal and attached spirals. Below the upper disc is the comer of a second Z-rod. Found within a ploughed field prior to 1903; now in Inverness Museum. <5> <6>
The stone is listed under Acc. No. 1937.041 in the Inverness Museum catalogue. <7>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. iii, 106-7.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 124.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 13.
- <4> Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 110.
- <5> Collection/Catalogue: Hanley, R G. 1994. A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. 9.
- <6> Text/Publication/Booklet: Inverness Museum. 2010. A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Paper (Copy).
- <7> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1937.041.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5590 5490 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12828 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.