MHG9207 - Possible Broch - Dunan
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NG82NE 13 8824 2645.
The foundation of an old 'castle' can be seen on the Dunan - a piece of rising ground behind Dr Mathieson's house at Dornie. In 1800 part of the walls stood 10' - 12' high.
Finds from the site include two stone ladles, a stone image, a block seal, and in the garden ground between the 'castle' and the present house, a stone cist was discovered. Dr Mathieson says that in some old records it is stated that a Paliament was held here.
T Wallace 1898.
At NG 8824 2645 on the sloping ground behind Dornie Hotel, previously Dr Matheison's house, there is a small flat-topped spur, fairly steep on the W side, but tapering into the natural lie of the hill in the E, which is undoubtedly the site of the 'castle' described by Wallace (T Wallace 1898). No trace of any foundations, and no local knowledge of a castle, the name "Dunan", or the finds made in the vicinity. Topography and description of the structure suggest a broch.
Visited by OS (N K B) 29 September 1966.
NG82 3 DUNAN (‘Dornie’)
Possible broch in Lochalsh, Ross and Cromarty, parts of the walls of which were apparently standing 3.0 - 3.6m (10-12 ft) high in 1800; the foundations could be seen in 1890 . There is nothing to be seen now  at the site which is on a small, flat-topped spur.
Finds reported to have been made there include 2 stone “ladles” – perhaps handled cups, a stone “image”, and a “block seal”.
Sources 1. NMRS site no. NG 82 NE 13: 2. Wallace 1898, 115. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T D. 1898. 'Dornie and its antiquities', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 4 1888-95, p.108-16. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 108-16. 115.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NG82 3 DUNAN.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8823 2644 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- Carved Stone (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11805 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.