MHG9335 - Broch, Feranach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
(NC 84412730) Broch (NR) OS 6"map, (1962)
The remains of a broch, consisting of a wall 15'6" thick containing a stair gallery and four mural chambers as well as a guard chamber off the entrance passage on the west. The wall stands to a height of 7' to 8' externally and is visible for a height of 7' above the internal debris which chokes courtyard and chambers. There is no evidence of outworks having existed.
A broch as described and planned by RCAHMS. The wall is 4.2m wide at the entrance narrowing to approximately 3.6m. The courtyard is about 11m diameter.
Visited by OS (JB) 1 Feburary 1977
This broch is situated towards the leading edge of a slight terrace on the N side of the Strath na Frithe and enjoys extensive views to the W. It measures 11m in diameter within a wall 3.4m in thickness, which is built of roughly squared blocks up to 1m across, and stands up to 2.5m in height. The entrance, which is on the W, is about 1.2m in height; a door-check is visible and there is a guard-chamber accessed from the S side of the entrance passage. There are five intra-mural chambers and traces of an intra-mural stair in the longest of the chambers on the N-NE. There are entrances to the chambers on the N and NW from the court; that to the NE has an opening into the court above the entrance. The interior is choked with rubble and the structure has been robbed, in particular on the E.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 7 March 1991.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 106-7, No. 314; fig.36 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
RCAHMS, 1993, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey (Text/Report). SHG2669.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 106-7, No. 314; fig.36.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1993. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8441 2730 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1865 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1865 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6680 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)