MHG934 - Broch, Knock Glass
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Knock Glass (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
The mound, c70ft in diameter and 8ft high, which contains remains of the broch of Knockglass, stands on a knoll, with a terrace between the base of the broch and edge. The highest elevation of the whole mound is from 16 to 17ft.
The grass-covered remains of 'Knock Glass', a probable broch, measure 44m in diameter by 4.5m high.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 2 November 1964.
Knock Glass (NAT) Broch (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
Knock Glass (name verified) is turf-covered remains of a broch with outworks. It comprises broch mound itself, 18.5m in diameter and 2m high surrounded by a berm and outer scarp, the latter showing signs of walling. On SE side of the broch are two parallels, curving stretches of wall face of slabs exposed to one course high; they are 2.3m apart exposed to one course high; they are 2.3m apart and 1.6m and 2.2m long and are interpreted as respectively outer face of broch and inner face of the mural gallery at first floor level.
Visited by OS (N K B) 18 September 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 35, No. 117 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Cathy Dagg, 1999, Assessment of the Potential Impact on known Archaeological Features by Mybster-Dounreay Line Refurbishment Works (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2039.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cathy Dagg. 1999. Assessment of the Potential Impact on known Archaeological Features by Mybster-Dounreay Line Refurbishment Works.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 35, No. 117.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0546 6358 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:562 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM562 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7909 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.