MHG9428 - Cairn, Fairy Glen, Bailenacile
The remains of a large circular cairn, visible as a large mound of stones.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
(NH 6724 9040) Cairn (NR) OS 1;10,000 map, (1971)
The remains of a large, circular cairn, dilapidated and grass-grown, about 60ft in diameter. Its sepulchral nature is not certain. Visited 1909. <1>
As described, 1.9m max height with a slightly hollowed top.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (E G C) 7 June 1963
A cairn, as described, now so overgrown with bracken that no details can be observed. Visited by OS (NKB) 19.9.1980.
Visible as large mound of stones under bracken etc. The area is clear of trees as under power lines although generally within old oak wood scheduled for additional trees. The linkage with the chambered cairn is probably not fortuitous and they should be regarded as a ritual group until proved otherwise. It is also possible that this is not just a simple mound. It was hard to discern extent, but there may have been an extension on the N side (ie betw the 2 cairns) as outer banking. Also stone heap to SE between the cairn and wall might be additional structures (unless it represents clearance dumping over wall). Photos. Curle PSAS describes "the lower of the two gives no indication of its original character". <2>
A trench for a new water pipeline was diverted to avoid this cairn. Archaeological monitoring of the excavations revealed some areas of possible tumble from the cairn, as well as a tumbled riverbank revetment that may have been constructed of cairn material. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 30, No. 79 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<2> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 06/2003 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<3> McCullagh, C, 01/2008, Watching Brief: Spinningdale Water Main Renewal
Culduthel Mains Farm, Inverness: Phase 5. Excavation of a Later Prehistoric Settlement (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG23339.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 30, No. 79.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 06/2003.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 01/2008. Watching Brief: Spinningdale Water Main Renewal Culduthel Mains Farm, Inverness: Phase 5. Excavation of a Later Prehistoric Settlement. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 19/01/2008. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6723 9040 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13991 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.