MHG9594 - Golspie Tower

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • TOWER HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARM (Built, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1810 AD to 1978 AD)
  • THRESHING MILL (Built, 19th Century to Unknown - 1815 AD (circa))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC80SW 3 8363 0086.

(NC 8363 0086) Golspie Tower (NR) (Ruin)
OS 6 "map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)

A few stones in front of a cottage at Golspie Tower Farm mark the site of Golspie Tower. RCAHMS 1911. <1>

Nothing remains of Golspie Tower; the last vestiges, a heap of stone 3ft high, were removed by Mr MacKay about 20 years ago (J MacKay, Park Cottage, Golspie) from in front of the farm cottage.
Mr Adam (University lecturer, St Andrews, Fife) states that it was the farm tower of a largish property, mentioned by Sir Robert Gordon in 1636; but the name also appears in a decree of 1512, now in the Dunrobin Castle Charter Room.
Visited by OS (N K B) 9 February 1966.

Golspie Tower (NR) (site of) OS 6"map, (1969)

Although the area, of land known by the name of Golspie Tower lies within the Earldom of Sutherland it had apparently been alienated at a very early date and remained separate from the estate possessions for several centuries during which both the superiority and the 'dominum utile' changed hands a good many times.
These changes exercised considerable influence on the history of east Sutherland. This account traces the ownership and development of the house from the 16th-century.
In about 1810, the house was turned into a farm and stabling to serve the newly built Golspie Inn. The general structure remained unchanged until a serious fire in 1970 destroyed the roof and upper storey of the main house. It was only at this juncture that a photographic record and architectural inspection was made.
A double maister tablet, inscribed with the initials M AG, is reported. <2>

Research into the house was conducted by Alex and Moira Hermiston, participants on a Community Timelines course, run by ARCH in 2010. The site has had several buildings: the medieval Golspitour which gives its name to the site, a two-storey house built c.1515 by Adam Gordon near the tower. There is a 16th century plaque on the gable of the present house. This house was turned into a farm in the early 19th century, and served as stables for the Golspie Inn. One building attached to the back of the house was turned into a threshing mill probably c. 1815. A fire destroyed the roof and upper story of the house, which was was demolished in 1978. The present house was built from the steadings. <3>


<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 103, No. 305 (Text/Report). SHG2657.


<2> Grant, M W, 1979, Golspitour: a forgotten house in Sutherland (Text/Manuscript). SHG24874.


<3> ARCH and Invidual Participants, 08/2010, Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie, CT-G12 Alex and Moira Hermiston (Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer). SHG24857.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 8362 0086 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC80SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish GOLSPIE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.