MHG9739 - Fort or Monastery - An Tornaidh Bhuidhe
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MONASTIC SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval - 561 AD? to 1057 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) PROMONTORY FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
- None recorded
Torran Buidhe (NAT). Fort (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1873)
An Tornaidh Bhuidhe (NAT) Fort (NR) OS 6"map, (1964)
A large peninsular rock on which there are traces of ruins. There are also remains of wall and trench which cut off the rock from the land. At N end ground is slightly broken and some distance below the surface was found burnt bones, shells and charred wood. <1>
The remains of a promontory fort flanked by precipitous cliffs and approached along a ridge only two or three feet wide in places. The fort consists of a grassy plateau round edge which runs an earthen rampart or parapet. Down N face of cliff is a ledge on which there is a depression but there is no trace of a passage such as that at Dun Mhairtein (NC86NE 1). <2>
A cliff-castle. <3>
Occupying An Tornaidhe Bhuidhe, a cliff-girt peninsula approached from S by a restricted arete, is a defensive or protective earthwork enclosing summit area 47m N-S by 10m maximum transversely. Around rim of summit is a turf-covered bank, at its strongest protecting approach from S and along W side, where it is 0.4m high and spread to a width of 2m; it is less strong on E side and completely eroded on N and NW. A content of earth and small stones is exposed in the eroded bank. No entrance gap is evident. The interior is largely occupied by a series of irregularly-shaped platforms, probably indicatin sites of buildings. Down slope to NE is a small shelf, apparently natural, with a slight bank constructed around outer side. It may have been a look-out, perhaps later than main work.
These much eroded remains may be of a promontory fort as stated by the RCAHMS, but it appears more likely to be a Celtic monastic settlement based on (1) existence of what appear to be stances for buildings in interior, and (2) form of enclosing bank which appears protective in the manner of a 'vallum monasterii' rather than defensive as in rampart of an Iron Age fort.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (W D J) 3 May 1960 and (N K B) 28 July 1981.
The site is included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 20, 73.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 63-4, No. 193.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 130, No. 237.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2790.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8669 6617 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2790.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6856 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.