MHG9765 - Lower Brora, Icehouse
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (19th Century to Second World War - 1820 AD to 1939 AD)
NC90SW 7 9076 0395
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p.245) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004 <1>
(Location cited as NC 908 039). Ice-house, built c. 1820. A vaulted stone chamber, earth-covered. <2>
Upstanding and well preserved icehouse very similar in design to the one located in Helmsdale. <3>
From 1820-1939, the ice house kept salmon cool in summer. In winter, blocks of ice were cut from Loch Brora and dropped down a stone chute into the vault. <4>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. 245.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 310.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 258.
- <4> Text/Publication/Leaflet: Clyne Heritage Society. c.2007. The Brora Village Trail: Uncover Brora's secret heritage. Paper (Original).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9076 0395 (14m by 17m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB573 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6978 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.