MHG10195 - Spinningdale Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- WATERMILL (Built, 18th Century - 1792 AD to 1794 AD (between))
- COTTON MILL (Built, 18th Century - 1792 AD to 1794 AD (between))
NH68NE 43 6759 8942.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 160-185) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974 <1>
(Location cited as NH 675 894). Spinningdale Mill, built 1792-4 for the Balnoe Company, is a four storey, six-bay building, gutted by fire in 1806. At the S end is a projecting stair bay with Palladian windows, and at the N end is a semi-circular heating tower.
J R Hume 1977. <2>
Spinningdale Mill is in ruins and in danger of collapse.
Visited by OS (NKB) 10 December 1980.
ARCHITECT: James Boag 1794
BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Scotland's Magazine, July 1965, p.24
Upstanding, although very deteriorated, stone & lime mortared building. Possibly 4 storeys seen, but only three visible on main walls. <3>
Lyon, K J, 'A Highland Landmark', Scotland's Magazine, July 1965, p 24 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG44.
Spinningdale Mill. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13085.
Butt, J, 1967, The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 313-14 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2008.
Hay and Stell, G D and G P, 1986, Monuments of industry, 63 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2306.
<1> Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.
<2> Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 312; pl. 20 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
<3> Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Sherarer, I, 03/2010, East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report, Site 28 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24912.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Spinningdale Mill.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 313-14.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 63.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Lyon, K J. 'A Highland Landmark', Scotland's Magazine, July 1965, p 24.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Sinclair B Calder. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900).
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 312; pl. 20.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Sherarer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 28.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6758 8942 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:8028 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM8028 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13845 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.