MHG11021 - Possible Henge, Ascoile
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HENGE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Condition photos 25/09/2004 - HAW 9/2004
Site visit 07/07/2004 shows that cable/pipeline has been cut across the site close to the road, wheeled vehicle damage is causing its exposure. See photos. The monument is further cut by the road with earthworks & outer ditch on the opp side of the road to the main monument. - HAW 7/2004
NC81SW 4 8309 1058. Earthwork (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
On the S side of the roadway, one mile W of Allt Smeorail are the remains of a circular earthwork of which rather less than half has been destroyed by the intersection of the road. It consists of a mound 27 feet in diameter, surrounded by a ditch 6 feet wide. The upcast from ditch has been heaped on the outer perimeter. In the centre are some large stones suggestive of the interior of a cairn, and large stones remain on the outer rampart and in the ditch.
J M Davidson 1948.
This earthwork was considered to be henge when visited summer of 1960. The ditch is 1-2 feet deep and the bank about 3 feet wide. There is little to suggest an entrance causeway across the surviving portion of the ditch, and it is concluded that a single entrance must have been located somewhere in the sector destroyed by the road.
A A Woodham 1960.
This earthwork is as described by Davidson (1948) and Woodham (1960).
It is situated on an old river terrace at the base of a steep SW facing slope. The central area is disturbed, and numerous stones protrude through the turf. However the feature displays the characteristics of a hengiform earthwork similar to those at Migdale (NH69SW 36) and Conon Bridge (NH55NW 1).
Revised at 1:10,560.
Visited by OS (R D L) 28 April 1964 and (J B) 17 December 1975.
A doubtful hengi-form earthwork
G J W Wainwright 1969.
- --- SHG306 Text/Publication/Monograph: Harding and Lee, A F and G E. 1987. Henge monuments and related sites of Great Britain: air photographic evidence and catalogue. Brit Ser. 175. 363-4, No. 264.
- --- SHG52 Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 33.
- --- SHG61 Text/Publication/Article: Wainwright, G J. 1969. 'A review of henge monuments in the light of recent research', Proc Prehist Soc, Vol 35 (New Series), pp 112-33. p 129.
- --- SHG877 Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1960. 'Greeanan', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1960, p.39-40. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 39-40. 39-40.
- --- SHG9744 Image/Photograph(s): Earthwork, henge?, Ascoile, Upper Strath Brora. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG9764 Image/Photograph(s): Earthwork (henge?), Ascoile, Upper Strath Brora. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8308 1057 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3288 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6630 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.