MHG13805 - Broch, Canisbay Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Centred ND 3435 7283 Churchyard
The church of Canisbay, mentioned between 1223 and 1245, is built on mound covering ruins of a broch. There are indications that present church dates from 15th century, but fact that it was dedicated to St Drostan and that a rock immediately offshore retains name Papel (ND 3420 7308) might suggest a pre-Norse, Celtic origin.
Finds from graveyard include red deer antler and hammerstones presented to NMAS by Rev James MacPherson in 1871.
The church is oblong with probably 17th century N and S transepts and pre-Reformation tower in centre of W front. It is a plain, harled structure which underwent alterations in 18th and 19th centuries. The openings in side walls are square lintelled and those in gables pointed. The monuments date back to 16th century and include those of Groat family.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; G Hay 1957; Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
No change; church and graveyard are in regular use.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1982.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3434 7283 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9415 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.